Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Week 3 Storytelling: The Human Child of a Mother-Wolf

Curious Wolf. Source: Kiza

There I was, perfectly content loping through the woods in search of game.  I knew there had to be deer around here that I could feed to my young sons, I just had to find them.

Suddenly, I caught a whiff of something disgusting.  Humans.  Nasty, filthy, horrible beasts.  I slunk through the bushes towards the smell, hoping for an easy meal, but I didn’t see any of the beasts around.  However, I did hear some whimpering coming from one of the bushes to my left.

When I eased toward the sound, I found one of their repulsive offspring.  I crept forward, preparing to pounce and end its life.  It would make a decent meal for my four young sons, but then I had a thought:  If I save this human, it may one day repay the favor

So I raised it alongside my true sons, hoping that my decision would one day pay off.  It was quite the burden, no hair to keep it warm, no strong teeth to kill pray.  While it ran on four legs like us, it was much slower than we were.  It was a struggle to keep it alive in those early years.

Eventually, the human was taken by a hunter, a prince nonetheless.  I was glad that my family and I would finally be free from its stench.  I ran after the human with my sons, making it seem like I wanted it back in case it one day returned.

------------------------------------------------------

Years later, the royal family held a hunt in my woods.  I was an old she-wolf by then, not as fast as I had once been.  My sons were able to run from the hunters while I tried to hide in the bush.  The hunter’s hounds, however, sniffed me out. They bayed to the hunters and gave chase. 

I ran, but the hunting party was right on my tail.  I knew the royal’s home was not far and the human had to be there.  I decided that it was time for the human to repay my former kindness.  I ran for the palace, with the hounds nipping at my heels and the horses thundering behind them.  I howled and yelped as I ran, hoping that the beast would hear my approach.

As I burst through the trees, I could smell my two-legged “child”.  I bolted straight for its scent, hoping that it would recognize me.  Thankfully, it opened its robes and embraced me.  The beast declared that I, and my true children, were under its protection and were welcome at its table.  Praise the Moon! The stupid beast had fallen for my false love.

From then on, my sons and I dined at the human’s table.  We had food coming out our tails.  All we had to do was howl for entry and we were welcomed to its bountiful table.  It was the best life that a she-wolf could ask for. 

Now if only we could figure out how to kill the beast and keep the food...


Bountiful Table. Source: Wikipedia

Author's Note: 

I based my story off of the tale The Wolf-Mother of Saint Ailbe in the Saints and Animals unit.  The original story is of a kindly wolf mother who comes across an abandoned child in her territory.  She takes the child and raises his as her own until he is taken by a hunter, the prince.  The child grew up to become a much loved Bishop.  However, he never forgot the wolf who raised him.  When she came to him with the hunting party on her tail, his love returned and he saved her life.


This story made me think of all the tales where the wolf is the villain.  Usually the wolves are just brutes that attack in a more or less straight forward manner.  They do not think long term or consider how they may be affected in the future.  Because of this, I wanted to write about a wolf that was thinking about her future.  In fact, she’s thinking of saving an infant so that it will help her much later in life.  It gave the story a darker twist and showed that the wolf was not a simple animal.  They are intelligent as well as strong and crafty.  They kill when it benefits them, such as food or protection, so why wouldn’t a smart wolf prolong a life if it benefited them farther down the line? 

"The Wolf-Mother of Saint Ailbe" from the Book of Saints and Friendly Beasts, by Abbie Farwell Brown (1900). Web Source: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook

4 comments:

  1. This definitely was an interesting twist on the story! I think you did a good job of making it your own. It is more relatable this way because unfortunately in todays society people are generally only motivated by what they will get out of a situation. You always love seeing those heart felt stories of people going out of their way to help others but most people aren't so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a creative twist to the story. I liked that you chose to tell the story from the mother wolf’s point of view. I like the blue layout, but with the white marks on the layout and the white font it makes it difficult to read a story. I would recommend changing your font color if you really like that layout. I also had a hard time reading the author’s note, which I would recommend making that font a little larger along with the color change. I liked the photo of the wolf and thought it added a nice image for the reader to have of what the mother wolf looked like. The picture of the feast was a nice touch as well! When I tried to access the story from the Un-Textbook it did not take me to the page of the story. I believe you can go to the story page and use that URL instead of just the general textbook URL. I think there are just a few minor things to be fixed with formatting. I enjoyed the story and think you have produced a great version of The Wolf-Mother of Saint Ailbe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story was very interesting, and very different from a lot of the things that I have been reading, which is always nice. It was a little difficult to read your story at some points, however, with the unfixed background and the black text. It might be a little easier if you just made the area with the text a little less completely see through. I look forward to reading your other stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I firstly liked reading this story and how different you made it but still kept the sameness to it. I also liked the more elaborate words you used like thundering and bolted, this gave a more adult sense to it. The way you wrote the second part really kept me reading more because I wanted to not because I had to. The ending made me laugh a little bit.

    ReplyDelete