Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Brothers Grimm (Ashliman) Unit

I continued reading the Brothers Grimm Ashliman unit for my extra reading this week.  Unfortunately, it was just as useless to my storybook as the first half of the unit.  There were no true villains in these stories, just people or things that were greedy or simply mean towards other characters.  The stories were meant more as warnings to be nice to your friends and family, instead of teaching morals like many of the Grimm fairy tales do. 

I did like the tale of the Simeli Mountain more than the others.  When I first read it, I thought that the Mountain was called Sesimi, not Semsi.  I got excited because I thought that they were basically saying open sesame, not open Semsi.  Proves that I really need to look at what I am reading and not get in such a hurry! I got all excited for nothing!

I always like the stories about a personified death, so I like the story of Death’s Messengers.  I think that it is a great representation of the human ideal in that it is never their time to die.  Death warned the man that messengers would come, and he ignored them.  He assumed that it was too early for him to die so he didn’t prepare for his end!


I am really enjoying reading the Grimm units and will definitely continue to read them!

Death Personified. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment