Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Reading Diary B: Saints and Animals

This half of the Saints and Animals unit was not nearly as interesting to me.  Half of the readings were in the style of ballads, which I don’t really like.  However, the first two readings of the story were very interesting to me.

The Fish Who Helped Saint Gudwall was entertaining.  I like how the island was dangerous for half of the year, which is of course not the time when the saint moved to the island.  I also liked how, even though the saint prayed to God, it was the fish who heard his prayer and decided to help.  I think this is an interesting story device, especially for a religious tale.

The Wolf-Mother of Saint Ailbe was great.  It reminded me so much of the She-Wolf who raised Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome.  It makes me wonder if maybe it was a way of incorporating the pagan story into Christianity. 

She-Wolf Bronze Statue.  Source: Wikipedia

These stories gave me a few storytelling ideas, but are definitely not my favorites.  I like some of the other stories that I have read more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment