Monday, September 7, 2015

Reading Diary A: Saints and Animals

I don’t know about anyone else, but I always love when stories have animals.  And I’m definitely one of the first to cry when an animal dies in a movie or TV show.  My love for animals is why I chose the Saints and Animals unit.  Who wouldn’t love a unit all about how animals have helped others!

The story of the Underdog is one as old as time and it always seems to strike a chord with me.   (While this isn't technically an idea concerning animals, it does have an animal in the name! I know, not the same, but I'm including it anyway.) This is why I liked Saint Kentigern and the Robin so much.  The idea of a group of people ganging up on one person and still being the ones to fail is hilarious.  Especially one who is seemingly as insignificant as Kentigern.  While he may be the star pupil, he has no friends and no one to help him.  He is a true underdog, and yet he still wins in the end. 

I also love when there is someone or something in a story that causes animals to put aside their differences.  The animals in Saint Blaise and His Beasts is such a story.  The animals were so devoted to Blaise that they were able to ignore their lifelong rivalries to be with him.  I think this is an idea that would be fun to expand beyond the animals.  Many stories are told of people who put aside their arguments for the greater good, even if it is for a limited time.

Animals are an amazing story device.  They are something that all people can relate to, whether they have a favorite animal or have grown up with them.  I think including an animal in a story is a great way to get people connected with the plot.  

Sanctuary Wolves.  Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment