Sunday, September 13, 2015

Reading Diary B: Ancient Egypt

The second half of the Ancient Egypt unit was more interesting for me.  I liked the longer stories and how they flowed more easily.  I enjoyed each of the stories for different reasons. 

The Two Brothers was intriguing.  I enjoyed the set up and the fact that Bata never truly died.  Every time a wrong was done to him he was reborn.  Every time his wife caused his death, he was given a new body to spite her. 

With The Book of Thoth, I liked the parallelism of the story, using the same words to describe the death of Merab and Ahura.  However, personally I find it kind of annoying to reread the same words again, but I do understand the use of the parallelism.  It added to the drama of the story.


I find it interesting how the villains or mischievous people in Egyptian myths are not always punished.  Some of the misdeeds are ignored, and some are actually rewarded for their ingenuity, as in The Tale of King Rhampsinitus.  I think that this would be interesting to use in my own Storybook about the Grimm Brothers’ sister.  She could use her intellect to outsmart some of the villains, and in return they allow her brothers to escape.  

Egyptian Temple. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment