Sunday, September 6, 2015

Possible Storybook Topics

Topic: Grimm Brothers – Grimm: Past and Present; Grimm Brothers vs. True Blood (Eric & Pam)
My Idea:  I want to have the Grimm Brothers time travel to modern day.  I think that I want them to meet people from some of my favorite televisions shows.  I took the idea from the Storybook that had them meet the Winchesters, which I think was an amazing idea.  I think I would either have them meet the characters from the TV show Grimm (how ironic would that be) or even meet Eric and Pam from True Blood.  I’m not sure how these stories would play out, but it would be fun!

Comments:  I love the Grimm Brothers.  I have decided to do my extra readings throughout the semester from the Grimm units, and I think that a Storybook based off of them would be a lot of fun.  I want to continue reading and learning about the Grimm tales.  I hope that I get the chance to learn about how these stories came to be.

Possible Stories:  Red Riding Hood a.k.a Little Red Cap - Great story to link the past and the present as it is almost a universal warning story. 


Bibliography Info
                Sample Story: Little Red Cap
                Book Title: The Grimm Brother's Children and Household Tales
                Book Author: Translated by D.L. Ashliman
                Year: 1998-2013

Grimm Brothers. Source: Wikimedia Commons

Topic: My Brothers Grimm
My Idea: I think it would be a lot of fun to write about the Grimm fairytales from the viewpoint of their younger sister, Charlotte.  I’d like to think that she surreptitiously followed them on all of their adventures, watching them and often helping them without their knowledge.  She’s the one who wrote down the stories.  In a way, it’s like the movie, where the brothers are trying to save people and vanquish the villains in many of their fairytales. 

Comments: Like I’ve said, I love the Grimm brothers and am doing my extra readings on them.  I love the idea of inserting women into the stories of old, since usually the women are weak or very insignificant characters.  I like that I get to learn more about the Grimm family in general, as I never knew they had a sister until I started researching for my other Grimm topic.

Possible Stories: Hansel and Grethel - I think this would be a perfect story for the sister to write about. She could help them from behind the scenes and it's a story that has enough body to be able to twist to my idea.


Bibliography Info
                 Sample Story: Hansel and Grethel
                 Book Title: Household Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm
                 Book Author: Translated by Margaret Hunt
                 Year: 1884

Topic: Why Are We the Villains?  Misunderstood: It’s Not Our Fault  
          Villain or Misunderstood?
My Idea: I want to rewrite the fairytales from the Villains’ perspectives.  I loved the movie Maleficent, and think that it would be awesome to use the same concept with other villains.

Comments: Of course I’ve encountered many of the fairytales before, in books, stories, and on screen.  We all hear about how evil and hateful the villains are, but very few people are inherently bad.  I want to write about how and why these villains are so vengeful towards the heroes and heroines of the fairytales.  I want to use the Grimm fairytales as a jumping off point for my stories.

Possible Stories: Rumpelstiltskin



Bibliography Info
                Sample Story: Rumplestiltskin
                Book Title: The Grimm Brothers Children's and Household Tales
                Book Author: Translated by D.L. Ashliman
                Year: 1998-2013

Topic: The Real Story of “King Arthur” 
My Idea: I’d like to write this legend with a significant twist.  I want “King Arthur” to be a woman, a woman who was so strong and such a fantastic leader that she was able to rule in Medieval England.  The reason that it was translated into a King was simply because later historians couldn’t believe a woman had ruled and battled in England so effectively.

Comments: I grew up reading books and seeing movies/TV shows based on the legend of King Arthur.  I know the basic story like most people do, about Excalibur and the Lady of the Lake and what not.  I do want to explore the legend further and learn the whole story, not just what is common knowledge.  I’ve read stories where Arthur and his Knights are Vampires and the Women are Witches, stories where Merlin is a woman, amongst others.

Possible Stories: The Drawing of the Sword- I definitely need to include this story as                               it sets up the entire legend

                                  The Round Table – Marriage of Guinevere; How could I not include the story of the                     round table?

           King Arthur and Morgan le Fay


Bibliography Info
                Sample Story: The Drawing of the Sword
                Book Title: King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table
                Book Author: Andrew Lang
                Year: 1902

No comments:

Post a Comment