Sunday, October 4, 2015

Reading Diary A: Tibetan Folk Tales

For this week’s readings, I chose to do the unit on Tibetan Folk Tales.  It was a very interesting unit, full of animal trickery and unique life lessons.  There was very little in this unit that I could use in my Storybook, but it was definitely fun to read.  I had not yet read a unit quite like this.

The Story of the Donkey and the Rock was one of my favorite stories in this unit. I really liked how it didn’t really teach a lesson to the main characters, but taught a lesson to the entire town.  Curiosity may actually be nosiness disguised!  This could be an interesting twist to use in one of my storybook tales.

Working Donkey. Source: Pixabay

My other favorite story was The Ingratitude of Man.  I think that it is funny that people assume that others like them will reciprocate favors, when that is rarely the case.  By making the animals the ones who actually showed gratitude and payed the debt, it shows that you cannot always judge a book by its cover.  (This idea reminds me of the monster book in Harry Potter)


This unit has been fun to read so far and I look forward to continuing the readings.  I hope I will be able to find other ideas to include in my storybook.  


No comments:

Post a Comment