Monday, October 19, 2015

Reading Diary A: Marriage Tales

This week’s theme was Native American tales.  From the choices, I selected the Marriage Tales because it encompasses a range of tribes so I would get a feel for many different cultures.  I enjoyed the readings in the first half of the unit, but did not really find any that I could draw from.  

I like the tale of Splinter-Foot-Girl, but did not draw anything from it that I wanted to use in my stories.  I did like that the animals helped her escape from her marriages.  However, she was a rather meek girl that didn’t really do much for herself.  Her family helped her escape and she simply went along with the plan. 

I like when the girl takes charge of the situation and makes a name for herself.  I guess it just goes along with my outlook on life.  We need to be the writers of our own destinies. Why wouldn’t she try to take charge of the situation? Why would she wait for help and go along with what everyone wants her to do? It just doesn’t fit with my perspective I suppose.  

Badger. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment