Thursday, October 29, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Brothers Grimm (Hunt) Unit

This half of the Brothers Grimm Hunt unit was very interesting.  I had not read or heard of any of these stories before and they certainly intrigued me! They had very interesting creatures in them!  I thought it was a lot of fun to read these stories, although they do not particularly fit with my storybook. 

What an interesting story! I had never heard this fairy tale before, although it certainly bears a resemblance to Beauty and the Beast.  I think that it is so interesting that the Devil shows up again at the end of the story, claiming that even after appearing to lose, he has won! I thought that it was a great twist! I might use something like that in my storybook…

Bearskin Illustration. Source: Wikimedia Commons

This was definitely a unique story.  A half hedgehog half man definitely calls an interesting picture to mind.  It was an odd image, but I suppose it worked for the story.  I am confused how something that was small enough to ride on a cock simply shed its skin and became a man, but it is a fairy tale! The whole story was a little odd, so I suppose I can’t get too caught up with this particular mental problem.

Another tale reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast! It was certainly an interesting tale, but not nearly as unique as the other two from the unit.  I liked that the dwarf had magic that turned the man into a bear, though.  It was an aspect of the story that I had not thought of before.  I might be able to incorporate it into one of my stories, although I’m not sure how.

Definitely a wonderful unit, but not exactly beneficial to my storybook!

No comments:

Post a Comment