Monday, October 26, 2015

Reading Diary B: Hero Tales

I have finished reading the Hero Tales unit and found yet more intriguing stories!  I find it very interesting which tales are included in this unit, as I do not see all of them as hero tales.  Some of them seem to be the tales of wayward children who are not doing as they were told, such as in the case of Lodge-Boy and Thrown-Away.  Yes, they do rid the land of several villains, but they are simply acting like most young boys do.  They did the exact opposite of what their father ordered them to do and just happened to survive the outcome.   

Some of the heroic acts are simply good deeds, such as honoring the promise that you made.  In Dirty-Boy, the two sisters were promised to a poor, disfigured man who shot an eagle from a tree, but only the younger sister honored the deal.  She was richly rewarded for her honesty, but I’m not sure if that classifies as heroism.


Regardless, some of the acts reminded me much of Charlotte Grimm, which I thought was great.  Not every deed needs to be grand.  Some are small things that simply add up.  


Bald Eagle. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment