Monday, October 19, 2015

Reading Diary B: Marriage Tales

I enjoyed the remainder of the Native American Marriage Tales unit.  It had longer tales that gave me a better insight into the culture.  I still didn’t find anything that I was really excited to draw from, but there was one story that caught my eye.


I particularly liked the tale of the Girl and The Turkeys.  It was very similar to the tale of Cinderella, but from a different culture’s viewpoint.  I really liked that the Turkeys were the ones that aided her in going to the ball, not a fairy god mother.  I thought it was interesting that there wasn’t really anyone that told her she couldn’t go to the ball, just her view of herself.  I liked that the Turkeys cleaned her clothes and then essentially spat out a variety of ornaments for her to wear.  The fact that she forgot about them after she left was cool too.  It definitely sets the tale apart from Cinderella.  

Turkey. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment