Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Week 12 Storytelling: I am Excalibur


There I was, perfectly happy on the hip of one of the most valiant knights in all the land.    I was a beautiful sword.  In my hilt was a perfect blood red ruby surrounded by intricate, well-polished scroll work.  My scabbard was also red and heavily encrusted with gold and jewels.  My knight and I had been in countless wars, slaying the evils that plagued our lands.  My knight was aging, but he was still a strong man who thought that he could take on the world with me at his side, and rightly so. 

Then poof!  My knight and scabbard were gone and I was encased in freaking rock!  The rough stone grated against my smooth blade, scratching up the steel.  How the hell did I go from being at my knight’s side to being in a freaking rock?!  I couldn’t see where I was, I couldn’t hear any voices, nothing! 

I waited there forever sitting in a rock, chaffing against the sides, seeing nothing, hearing nothing. I’m pretty sure I went insane.  Then, all of a sudden, I felt a hand on my hilt trying to tug me out of the stone!  Finally, I was going to be free of this stupid rock!  But as much as that hand, and many others, pulled, I never came free.  So yet again, I was trapped. 

What I think was a few days later, the hands returned, although I was sure that I was stuck there forever.  These hands seemed smaller and smoother than the others, so they must belong to a young boy.  Surprisingly, I was pulled free!  The light was blinding, the sounds deafening!  I was free of that blasted stone!  The boy took off with me and in the distance I could see a tournament being prepared. 

The boy delivered me to a knight and what was said next was lost on me.  The knight took me to another and said “Sir, this is the sword of the stone, therefore I am the rightful King." The other knight appeared doubtful and took us to another man. 

Now this is where I began to drift off.  I was so excited and happy to be free of the stone that I did not care what these men were prattling on about.  Maybe I could find my knight now! I could go back to fighting wars and slaying evils.  I was free after all! 

However, the men began to walk back to where the boy had pulled me from the stone.  I could not go back into that darkness! I would lose my sanity!  Try as I might, however, I was returned to the stone and four more times, with long periods in between, I was pulled from the stone. 

On the fourth time that I was drawn from the stone, I saw a great crowd of common people around the boy, the stone and me.  The second that I was free from the stone, the crowd began to scream and cheer, chanting the young man’s name.  Everyone around us fell to their knees with tears on their faces: young and old, rich and poor. 

The young man was declared king, and with me at his side!  While I may not find my knight again, I was now at the hip of a man who was chosen by the people, a man with the natural ability to lead and rule. 

The young man’s name was Arthur and he was now king of Camelot.  I protected him for many years, slaying those that threatened his life and the life of the kingdom.  Although my former knight had never named me, this boy called me Excalibur and we ruled Camelot with a firm hand and a loving heart. 

That is, until we were separated and I never saw the young man again.  I heard that he was given another sword by a lady of the lake, one that, while not as good as myself, still helped him rule his kingdom. 


Author’s Note:

For this week’s story, I chose to rewrite the King Arthur story, The Drawing of the Sword.  I kept the same story line, but rewrote it from the viewpoint of Excalibur.  I thought it would be an interesting viewpoint since the sword is so central to the tale of King Arthur.  I wanted to show how it would feel to be encased in stone, waiting for the One True King to come along and draw you from the stone.  And once you’re finally free of the stone, you are placed back into it again and again because the knights would not accept your bearer as the one true king. 

Bibliography: "The Drawing of the Sword" from King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table by Andrew Lang (1902).  Web Source: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook

Image Source: Excalibur in the Stone. Source: Flickr


4 comments:

  1. Hello! The point of view switch was so neat! I never would have thought to give Excalibur, an inanimate object, it's own voice. You not only did that but you gave the sword so much life, Excalibur might as well have been a person. The way your describe how he(?) feels and what's going on around him I can almost picture the sword as a very disgruntled young man, inpatient to return to his old life but trapped against his will. I think it was rather unique and very interesting to hear the tale from this point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your story! I liked how you wrote the story from the sword’s point of view. Your author’s note really helped me understand why you chose to use the sword as the narrator. I thought it was a creative way to tell the story since it was been retold several times in different ways. I look forward to reading more stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I just got done writing a little story about excalibur! I never imagined seeing a story written from the sword's point of view. This is what I meant in my introduction when I could tell you are creative. It was pretty humorous at times for me as well picturing the sword in its various situations. I was even at one point thinking what I would say if I were the sword lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading stories when they are done from a different perspective! Especially in this instance, it was such a surprise to read this story from this perspective. You so often hear this story, but I've never seen it done this way before. Great job! Your writing is so fresh and innovative!

    ReplyDelete