Sunday, November 15, 2015

Reading Diary A: Italian Popular Tales

Italy. Source: Wikimedia Commons

For this week (really two weeks, but who’s counting) readings, I chose the Italian Popular Tales unit.  Since I am travelling to Italy in the spring, I thought that it would be fun to read their fairy tales.  Maybe it will give a bit of insight into their culture, maybe not. 

The unit was very interesting, although slightly repetitive.  Zelindaand the Monster was a lot like Beauty and the Beast.  The woman met a dragon whom she was forced to live with and when she finally agreed to marry him, he became a handsome young man.  The Fair Angiola was very similar to Rapunzel… but with a dog’s face.  The hair and tower were the same, but the witch cursed her with a dog’s face when she ran.  Howthe Devil Married Three Sisters started out like the story of Cupid and Psyche.  He told the women to not do something, which of course he did. 


I really enjoyed reading this unit.  It reminded me a lot of the Grimm fairy tales that I have been reading all semester, so of course I loved them!


No comments:

Post a Comment