Thursday, August 27, 2015

Growth Mindset: A New Frontier

I learned about Growth Mindset from my professor for Business and Professional Communication, Dr. Ryan Bisel.  At the start of the semester, he presented the idea of growth mindset in the hopes that students would take the information and use it to their advantage.  He loves to see students grow and learn during the semester, calling it their “transformation”.   

I believe in the growth mindset.  I don’t think that people are born with a certain level of intelligence.  If they set their mind to something and have the ability, they can achieve fantastic things.  However, as my professor said, there are some things that people just will not be able to do simply from a lack of interest or from starting too late in life or not having the physical ability.  Being in the Communication field, I’ve heard many people say they are not “math people” or they’re not “science people”, which is why they’re in Communications.  My professor contradicted this by saying that they simply weren’t interested in becoming better at these fields so they never truly applied themselves.  A six-foot, 200 lb. man wanting to be a jockey isn’t entirely possible, because he found that particular dream to late in life AND he has certain physical characteristics that might cause some problems in that dream.  
However, I do believe that some people’s brains are just hardwired for certain things.  Some people are somewhat born to be math geniuses or music prodigies.  They find the field easy and quickly pick up new topics and ideas.  Other people are not hardwired this way, but the can definitely train themselves and work at the field and become just as good.  They may not pick things up as quickly, but they can master things to the same degree.  

Meme created by Laura Gibbs. Source: Growth Mindset Memes

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely as I think some people are born for some things. Some fit perfectly with what they do. I also believe that if someone truly focuses on certain things to be better at, they can achieve it. Growth mindset taught me another thing: the materials we learn in class are just as important as grades. Some tend to forget this (myself included).
    I think that is all. Also, I love cat!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do agree with you about how some people are just born for certain things. Like physicists or inventors, they are just born with it. I do think that people can achieve great things if they take their interests and focus on that. Like I have the capacity to be an engineer, but I won't be a great one because its not my passion. So I do agree with your comments about this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting it is that your Business and Professional Communication professor was the one who introduced the growth mindset to you. For me, it was my Introduction to Biochemistry professor haha. I like that this new way of teaching and learning is reaching subjects beyond just psychology and the sociology because it’s important to change the way that we learn. Students nowadays just focus on getting the grade rather than learning something, you know? I also agree that some people just aren’t “math people” or “science people” because they didn’t apply themselves. The human mind has a huge capacity learn so much, it all depends on your attitude and how you were exposed to the topic.

    ReplyDelete