Monday, August 24, 2015

Discovering the UnTextbook

Picking my readings for the units throughout the upcoming semester was surprisingly difficult! Everything sounds so interesting to read and I hope that I will have the time to read more than just the 12 units that I must select for my postings this semester.  The following four units are the ones that I am most confident that I will read and post about:

The Egyptian myths and religions have always intrigued me.  In a way, it reminds me of the Greek/Roman religions, especially with the number of gods and goddesses that the religion has.  I am hoping that the unit will give me some details about the myths that I have grown up hearing about on television and in movies. 

My interest in this section is probably mostly related to my semester abroad that is (hopefully) coming up in the spring.  I’d like to know everything that I can about Italy before I leave, and who wouldn’t want to read their fairy tales! I find it interesting that so many cultures have fairy tales that are similar to the ones that we grow up with in America.  It will certainly be interesting to see how they are presented in a different country!

Who doesn’t love King Arthur?! I love reading books and watching movies and television shows that revolve around the Arthurian legends.  Merlin was one of my favorite shows! Before it got cancelled that is.  I am excited to read the myths without the artistic changes that the movies, books, and television shows have applied to make it more consumer friendly!

Just like everyone else, I grew up knowing the tale of Alice in Wonderland.  However, I have never actually read the book… So it will be awesome to read the story and share what I think about it with everyone! I’ve seen many movies about the story, but I’m sure they are all different from the actual story, much like the Arthurian legends.


The readings that I have posted here are just a vague idea of the units that I will use to fill up the rest of my semester.  These are definitely subject to change, but they may give you an idea as to what I am interested in!

Monkey King (They mention this one on The Big Bang Theory!)


This is an image from the Twenty Two Goblins Unit.  It is titled "Brave, Wise, Clever".  To me, it looks a lot like a picture that would accompany the tale of David and Goliath.  I have not yet read the story, so I don't know why this picture is accompanying it. However, it does make me wonder what the story entails to warrant this image.  I am excited to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment