Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Reading Diary A: Russian Folktales

For this week’s readings, I chose the Russian Folktales unit.  To be honest, I started several other units but kept getting bored or side tracked.  I figured the Russians are famous for being not-quite-right in the head so they must have some pretty interesting folktales that would hopefully keep my attention! And boy was I right! These folktales rival the Grimm’s for interesting twists and gory endings, but they were definitely a lot of fun to read.  I wish I had had the chance to read these before I wrote my storybook because I could have taken some notes from these stories!

There were dark story topics throughout the unit that were very cool.  The Dead Mother had a mother die in childbirth and then come back and nurse the baby in secret.  The Coffin Lid is the story of a woman who died and the child who was supposed to pray over her was forced to face down horrible visions to ensure the witch stayed dead! 


I really did enjoy this unit and would have loved to include it in my storybook, but oh well!  

The Coffin Lid. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment